Monday, June 23, 2014

I Saved Someone's Life

I love teaching swimming lesson, but last week I experienced that moment when my Lifeguard training kicked in as I rescued a little boy (I think he was about 2) from drowning.

I was told by our head to join the "Little Marlins" group (these kids are from a few months old to 3 years old) in the kiddie pool because the lesson was really full... so I slipped into the shallow water, greeted the teacher (who I had actually never met) and teamed up with her and the other helper, A. (I believe he is about 12).  She gave me the instructions "Just make sure no one drowns".   While she taught the kids to blow bubbles, point their toes, and basically get comfortable in the water, A. and I herded the group and helped her out.

Within three minutes of the "just make sure no one drowns" order, I turned my head to see this little boy running the 15 feet separating the kiddie from the deep end of the big pool.

And then he jumped in.

The instant I saw him running, I was out of the pool.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw A. doing the same thing.  I dashed across, got down on the deck, and reached in to pull the flailing boy out, but because I was moving so fast, somehow (I'm not exactly sure how!) I ended up slipping into the water right next to him.  A. was on one side and I was on the other.  Together we pulled him up and handed him to the other swim teacher.

Relieved, A. smiled at me as we went to push ourselves out of the pool.  I patted him on the back and said, "Good save!"

Well, that little boy got back in his lesson after I made sure he was okay and he was given strict instructions to stay in this pool.

Afterwards a older man came up to me where I was standing with the lady in charge.  He was so shocked and congratulated me on my "fast thinking".  He said I should get a "lifesaver award".  ;)

However, I can't take the credit.  The Lord is the One who I owe everything to.  And A. did so well, being there right by my side.  I am so thankful the Lord had His hand of protection over me, A., and that little boy.  From my Lifeguard training, I know how fast those things happen and how they escalate into bigger, more serious situations.  It's one of those things that happens so fast...  If we had not seen him, second later, he would have become a submerged victim and been at the bottom of a 12 foot deep pool.  So frightening, but God is so good!    Thank you, Jesus, for guiding A. and I and helping us to react quickly.

I ended up with some battle wounds from this rescue.  ;)  I bruised the bridge of my nose and bruised my shin on the way into the pool.  But it was worth it.

May the Lord bless that little boy and may he come to know Him.  Obviously God has a plan for him.

5 comments:

Elanee said...

What an amazing story Bethany! God truly had you in the right place at the right time. May He continue to use you for His glory!

Christianna Hellwig said...

What a wonderful opportunity! You now have a skill that will be with you the rest of your life; a skill that will save the lives of others!
I agree, God must have a plan for that little boy's life.

Bethany said...

Thank you, girls! Yes... I am so thankful for my Lifeguard training! I know it is something that is such a wonderful tool!

Bethany Carson said...

Praise the Lord! So thankful you got there in time--great job!

Bethany said...

Thank you, Bethany!