Friday, January 17, 2014

Celebrate Today!

And why should you do a think like that?

Because today is a very special day.  In fact, it is so special that I decided to post on my blog about it (and it better be special if I'm going to do that!).

I found out that today, January 17th, is "National Hug A Short Person Day!"

Now how neat is that?!

I was with a group of people at a conference a while back and a certain girl I know came up and starting singing the words to this song (she was never seen again... for some strange reason... okay, I'm kidding!).  (Disclaimer: I am not endorsing Randy Newman, the writer of this song, by posting this video.  I don't know anything about him or the other songs he has written; I just thought this song was kind of funny.)  My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to check out the song when I got home. 

At first I thought the song was poking fun at short people (and unfortunately my humorous side got the better of me when I chucked at some of the lines about the tiny hands, platform shoes, and such), but I found at that the song was actually written to poke fun at people poking fun short at people who are always poked fun at from the people poking fun at the people who are short.

Or something like that.

Anyway, the little guy that sings this sure makes the song!



Just remember to never underestimate us Short People.
Don't ask.
I warned you.



Someone told me I looked like a midget in this picture.  I am certain that the size differences had nothing to do with it.  In fact, the supposed midget look probably was probably from my messy hair...

Some fun quotes for today:

"God only lets things grown until their perfect.  Some of us didn't take as long as others!"

"Sometimes you've just got to hand it to short people... because quite often they can't reach it."

"Oliver Wendell Holmes once attended a meeting in which he was the shortest man present. 'Dr. Holmes,' quipped a friend, 'I should think you'd feel rather small among us big fellows.' 'I do,' retorted Holmes, 'I feel like a dime among a lot of pennies.'"

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
~William Shakespeare 

And my all-time favorite...
"Dynamite comes in small packages!"

And really... if it were not for us Short People, you all wouldn't feel tall!

"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much."
 ~Luke 16:10a (ESV)

Honestly, I have had way too much fun with my height (well, when I finally understand that being short was a terrible thing--yes, I did think that when I was younger) and someone once said about me, "Bethany might think she is short, but she sure has a big personality!"  You know, in the end--whether you are short, tall, midget, giant, or in between--it doesn't really matter.  What matters is how you show the love of Jesus to others, bringing them to Christ and living your life for Him.

 And whether you are short or tall, be faithful in the small things and the Lord will bless you with much.  (Sorry, but we really do win in the end!)

And to all my short friends: You are awesome!

11 comments:

Maria said...

As soon as I read this to my family, my brother was inspired to hug me!:)

My brother saw this quote and we use this quote for short people. "You're not short, you're concentrated awesome."

Have a awesome day from one short person to another!
Maria B
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4.29

Elanee said...

That was a great post Bethany! I really enjoyed reading it. And I have to say "Amen" to your last paragraph, about the importance of being faithful in the little things. God has really been impressing that upon my heart recently, and I've seen how unfaithful I can be when my focus is not on Christ. Thank you for your encouragement.

Bethany said...

Maria: Your comment made me smile. :) That's great! :D Yes, I've heard that quote too. There are so many good quotes it's hard to pick out favorites. ;)
Have a great day too!

ELanee: Your welcome! It is easy to let the little things slip and dream about the bigger things (because that is just way more exciting, right?!). But it is the little things that bring us to the big things. :)

William Moore said...

Should I really read this post if I'm 6'2"?

Great post, Bethany!

William

Madi said...

This is an awesome post, Bethany!!
*virtual hugs* :P
I love that quote about feeling like a dime among a lot of pennies. ;) That's awesome! :D

Daniel F said...

Randy Newman wrote the soundtracks to the Toy Story movies and is the guy who sings “You’ve Got a Friend in Me.” He also wrote the soundtrack to Monster’s Inc., which Jordan is GOING to watch. Right, Jordan? :D

God's Maiden of Virtue said...

Aw, I love it! =) I will go hug my mom now (though she is only 5'2", so it's not so bad for her ;-)!

I kind of wish I was short now :) Hmm...I am shorter than the *average* height...does that count?? ;-)

Blessings,
Rosie A.

Bethany said...

William: Yes, you should. Tall people need to understand that they are only tall because we are short. :P

Madi: *hug* :D I know! Very witty. ;)

Daniel: Oh, I know "You've Got a Friend in Me!" Great song.

Rosie: Good for you! :) Well, maybe we could make an exception... ;)

Jordan Strang said...

Here's a hug for my favorite short person!!!

Oh that's right, I don't give internet hugs!

Oh well... I'll do one later and post it online... how 'bout that?

Bethany said...

Jordan! Why thank you! Wait. How are you going to post a hug online?!

The Bowes said...

Oooh, so that's why all you vertically challenged people run around hugging each other on the 17th. I've always wondered . . .