Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Year in Review--2013 Part 2

Because I couldn't fit everything into one blog post, I broke up my year review into two parts.  Check back here if you missed Part 1.

Last post I wrote the top5 Spiritual Lessons I learned in 2013, so this post I will be sharing the top 5 Physical Lessons I learned.

1) Always have faith; don't ever loose hope.

2) 4:00am was the record bedtime this year.  Although there is something so wonderful about late nights, 4:00am is just a little too late/early.  My sister told me that I looked "half crazed" at that hour.  ;)

3) Never get in the way of a moving chicken coop.  You will get run over by it's force before you even realize what happened.  Trust me.

4) Don't ever tell anyone if you can swim down to the bottom of a 12-foot deep pool.  If you do, you will be constantly asked to retried anyone's personal items that were carelessly dropped into the pool.  While you're at it, don't ever try diving at an angle.  Okay, if you insist, don't blame me for the sore feet that slipped on the side of the pool and now feel blistered.

5) We couldn't live without those Violin Callouses on your fingertips, but they sure can drive a person crazy!

And just as a side note... I found out that if you play a joke on a group of people, they might just try throwing you out of the room.  In fact, I was told, "Cast out the prankster and the pranks will cease!"  However, they did not succeed in catapulting me out of the room.  ;)

July

Being that we love swimming, we started the little kids on lessons and us older ones on laps.  Shiloh and I went through our training and teach swimming (we still have to get our certification).
 I'm most likely telling this little guy to "tuck his chin and blow me some bubbles"!
Oh, and that weird scar on my shoulder was the remains of a nasty bicycle accident Eden got me into.  I came very close to breaking my collarbone (by God's grace I didn't!) and my shoulder was so messed up I couldn't play violin for quite a while (not to mention the road-burn I had in multiple places).

A highlight of the Summer was visiting a Civil War reenactment with come special friends.
Kathrina and I are trying very hard not to cook in the hot sun.  ;)

 "Directing" my team in the sport I am terrible at... volleyball.
(What can I say?  It's not a short person's game.)

 That awkward moment when you're the only one smiling for the picture...

After hosting a concert for the Winton family, us girls enjoy time with the Pelster sisters.

August

Impromptu dancing... a very normal activity in our house!

I wrote and directed a short movie (for a video contest that we entered) called, Him and Her.
Stepping back into the 50's... 
(This was before we started filming, so it was probably about 9:00pm.)

Jordan played our grandpa and I played our grandma.

Filming wrapped up at midnight.  That's how we roll!

We were thrilled and humbled to find that... by the God's grace, our movie won Grand Prize!!!  Wow!  We were so excited when we found out and could hardly believe it.  We won a 7 day trip to Florida which I am booking right now.

I have always wanted to try a viola out and I finally got to do that this Summer!  Do you think that viola can get a little bigger???

Possibly one of my favorite pictures from the Summer.

Trying out an electric violin... Truly a neat looking instrument!

Family bonfire!  These were special evenings where we talked, shared, prayed, and sang together around the flames.
(Oh, doesn't this bring back memories of the time I played that prank on everybody!  But that's a story for another time. ;) )

September

 We all went out to see Kirk Cameron's movie, "Unstoppable".

When you have the whole movie theater to yourself...

I can't remember exactly when this picture was taken, but I had to post it!

 We co-hosted a homeschooling picnic where we were in charge of putting together games.  The three legged race was a hit!

The four brave girls that did a sack race together.  And those tall girls found that they really don't have an advantage; I won this race!  ;)
 
 A late Summer dance.
(Dancing barefoot on the lawn is fun, but it does bring out your sloppy footwork!)

October

 "Serious" shoppers...
If you can believe it, the clerk announced to the entire store that those boots looked so "cute" on me.  My thoughts?  They look like shoes you would wear on the moon (not like I've ever been there before).

The best weekend in October was when we attending the Family Economics Conference and caught up with lots of good friends.

Eden and I enjoyed seeing Grace and Madi A.

Meeting the S. sisters was a blast!  We had such a fun time together.

Our "Polar Plunge" that finished off an awesome weekend!
I had been looking forward to swimming in the ocean for months in advance and felt so good to fulfill my dream.
(Yes, many people--more than less--thought we were crazy.)

Closing Conference Party.

 We closed October with a fantastic concert by the Josties.

November

Jordan placed with the top eight competitors at the 2013 National Bible Bee.  We were so proud of him!

At least some of us are expressive...  ;)

Girl Time!

A very fun Thanksgiving with the S. Family.

December

A big highlight for me was playing the Celtic Concerto with a group of wonderful musicians.  (Yes, I haven't got around to doing a post on that--but I will!)  I had a blast and the music was so beautiful.  I also fulfilled my dream of playing in a String Quartet during that same concert.  String Quartets are the best.  I can't wait till the next time I can play in one.

The whole Celtic Concerto group.

 The chapel that we performed in was lovely and the acoustics were wonderful.

Rehearsing the String Quartet.

 December is always a busy month of music, Christmas parties, and events, but we were excited to close to close the year off with a visit from some very special friends.

 The girls photobomb the guy's picture!


Wonderful memories to close a great year.


If you are reading this, it means you are still awake and I didn't bore you to sleep.  Congratulations!

 As we prepare to set out on a new year--closing this chapter of our lives and opening the next--let us remember to keep Christ as our center.  Without Him our lives are meaningless, worthless, and useless.  Our focus must be on the Lord!  With Him guiding our lives, we will be blessed and have true success.  Although we will have our hardships, God will be right there by our sides, leading us along.  I heard a sermon the other day and the pastor challenged everyone to search out the things of God more this year.  He said, "If you seek Him this year, you will find out things you didn't know about Him."  Let that be our main goal this next year: to seek the Lord and dig deeper into His Word as we are searching for hidden treasure.  

"I have one desire now - to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it."  
~Elisabeth Elliot

 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
~Isaiah 40:31

"He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end."
~Ecclesiastes  3:11

May the Lord bless each and everyone of you in 2014.  

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Madi said...

lol...I know what you mean about being the only one smiling for the picture. :P
Cute pics of Judah!
The October conference was SO much fun!!!! :D

Thanks for the exhortation at the end! That was very encouraging and so true. :)
God bless your new year!

Bethany said...

Yes, it was!!! The only problem was that it was too short. ;) (The story of our lives, right? :P )

You're welcome! :) May the Lord bless you as and your new future as well!