Thursday, December 5, 2013

Awkward: 101 DTID--The Peanut Gallery


I read that you can fix a scratched DVD just rubbing peanut butter on the playing surface and then wiping it away with a soft cloth.  Supposedly the scientific explanation is that the oil from the peanut butter covers the scratches, enabling the laser to passes over it without causing a skip in your movie.  When I found this information out, I was instantly intrigued.  In fact, I was so exited about it I couldn’t wait till we got another DVD from the library so I could give it a try.  When that greatly anticipated evening came, I thought it would be rather amusing to surprise my siblings with what looked like an outlandish notion.  As usual, library DVDs are scratched and this one was no exception.  And of course there isn’t anything more annoying than getting to the most interested part of the movie only to find that’s where the most scratches are on the disk (it always happens that way)!  I told my siblings that I could make the DVD play without skips because I knew a special way to get rid of scratches.  Now that I had a curious audience, I opened the refrigerator, took out the peanut butter and proceeded to scoop a whooping spoonful out with a flourish.  Smearing the glob on the disk, I covered the playing side completely over with peanut butter as I snuck a glance or two over to see the shocked expressions on their faces.  After it was covered, I carefully wiped it off with a cloth… just like it said in the directions.  “This will work now!” I said triumphantly as the skeptical looks were ready to put the trick to the test.  Popping the DVD into the player I was ready to watch the movie without a single glitch.  But something went wrong.  The same skips were there and it looked as if the peanut butter did nothing.  Well, that's frustrating...

I’ve never been a peanut butter fun, but it sure didn’t help to find that I had used Crunchy peanut butter instead of Smooth.

10 comments:

Daniel F said...

HAHA! No way! How long did it take for Jordan to let you live that one down? :D

Bethany said...

He knows better than to press an issue like that. :P Just kidding!

Elanee said...

That's Hilarious Bethany:) Smtimes the simplest mistakes make the funniest stories:)

Bethany said...

They most certainly do... such as the time I found that I couldn't outrun a Cheetah.

(Okay, so it was a simulator thing at the zoo. ;) )

Samuel Marinov said...

Lol, haha! Yeah, the crunchy peanut butter may or may not have had anything to do with it. :P

Bethany said...

Right. :D

Jordan Strang said...

@Bethany: You've left out the most important part of the story... I said that it wouldn't work and recommended car wax instead. (expect that from a part time auto dealer!:P) Although it wasn't perfect (library movies can never be) it ran way better than your PB charade! :P

Bethany said...

Are you talking about the second time when I tried toothpaste? The car wax only sort of worked on the 5 Jumping Beans (LOL!) because it was so scratched.

Anonymous said...

That's funny!!!!!

Bethany said...

Anonymous: Glad you enjoyed it! Please use your name next time you comment. Thanks! :)