Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ammo

For some reason, all those tall people enjoy picking on us short people.  Somehow I inherited all the short genes in the family and well, I've watched two of my younger siblings pass me up in height (though in not much else!) and there are three more to go.  Oh great.

I don't think people realize how powerful and fast we really are.  Being short does have it's advantages (shall I list them off?).  But when I was younger I didn't understand that.  I took being short very seriously as if it were a great trial I must endure and I even used to pray that I would grow taller (that was when I was very little).  You can't blame me though!  I was born at 5lbs 6oz and everyone thought I was my mom's broken arm.  Actually she didn't have a broken arm; she just had me (I promise those two are not equivalent).  As I've become older, I have got used to the fact that genes are genes and I'll just have to use my shortness to my advantage.  
And I do.  To the point where those tall people are intimated by me! 

This post is dedicated to all my short friends and is packed full of handy ammo to retort all those silly Tall People comments.  Being short is a noble calling and each of you are very special!  

My little (taller) sister thinks it's funny to tease me about my height.  However, I find even more amusing to come back with something better than she said. 

During a conversation about coffee...
Me: "Coffee does stunt your growth!  Well, I guess I don't have any growth to stunt."

Looking at a group picture (need I mention the fact that group pictures make size so obvious?!)...
Eden: "Looks like you got on the short end."
Me: "No, I just got short-ended!"

Eden having fun at my expense...
Eden: "Tall people do have an advantage."
Me: "They most certainly do!  Of keeping their heads in the clouds!"

True things about short people that can answer to any raised eyebrow of the person who thought you were still in Grade School:
"Good things come in small pakages!"
And my personal all-time favorite:
"Dynamite comes in small packages!"

The Bennet Sisters
(And this picture is about two years old!)

This was the tallest person I've met (so far).  I had to get a picture with him!

 Obviously my heels weren't high enough...

No matter what, I still love all my taller and shorter siblings!  And no matter what I will always have something on the tip of my tongue as good ammo! 

20 comments:

Elizabeth Lindsay said...

I know how it is to be short! My younger brother (one of them) is almost a foot taller than me. Most of my friends at church are taller than me.

Bethany said...

Then this post was for you, Elizabeth! :D

Elanee said...

I promise to never tease you about your height Bethany!
And just make you feel better, I've recently had some experiences where I've felt pretty short. We saw some friends we haven't seen for quite a while, and they are all over 6 2" ft, and I felt super short.... Anyhow I'll try to remember the plight of the smaller people when I wish I was taller:) .....hilarious post BTW:) you certainly are one power packed stick of dynamite:)

Stepheny said...

Lol... Yup! I'm 19 and everyone thinks my 14 year old sister is older because she's taller! Ugh! Lol that's ok... I've learned to accept it as well, although I used to hate it and get mad about it. Now whenever we are introducing ourselves I say "I'm Stepheny, I'm the oldest of this family". Lol that way there is no guessing ages...

Rachel Irene said...

Hehe! Fun post =D There are sometimes when I feel taller and other times very short :P How tall (or short) are you? :)

Madi said...

Thank you for this post, Bethany! lol...as you know I'm pretty much the shortest wherever I am! :P
One time at church one of the younger boys hit that age where they start shooting up. One day he was standing next to me and he got all excited and started singing, "I'm taller than Madi, I'm taller than Madi!" I was like, "Big accomplishment!" :P

Bethany said...

Elanee: Of course I don't mind teasing! ;) I remember my former violin teacher Elizabeth K. used to pull the stand up really high and say, "Oh, I forgot. You're not as tall as me!"
Wow, so you saw the world from a different perspective! ;) Remember the time after choir practice where you all end up standing on the curb and when I walked in front of you I felt like a dwarf?! :D

Stepheny: I get that too. ;) Remember that you are not only in this tall person's world. :P

Rachel: I am 3' 26 1/2". :D

Madi: LOL! He doesn't understand. ;) And I have to admit that I am still so shocked that my MM's aren't as small as yours! :P

Daniel F said...

My brother is “short” ...5’9”...but he was supposed to be like 6’3”. Anyway, he has a friend who told him, “Don’t worry, Eli. You’re just Fun Sized!"

Bethany said...

Yeah, 5'9" isn't that short. ;)
Ha ha! I've heard that one before.

Jordan Strang said...

@Daniel: Yep... Pizza Pie sized!!!

@Bethany: I never pick on people because of their height... I simply have some good fun teasing them! :P
And I always remind them when I'm done that dynamite comes in small packages........... As long as their the dynamite type! :P

Jordan Strang said...

Actually, you're wrong... it's their.

Nope... Cause they might be a stick of dynamite, but I happen to not only to have, but also AM the match!!!

I think that deserves a "touché"!

Bethany said...

Match?! O.o

Don't you realize the context of that statement?

Daniel F said...

I love when Strangs argue with Strangs on their blog comments! SO rich! Jordan, you can’t just turn, go to Bethany, and make a comment! LOL You guys are a crack up! :D

Bethany said...

Daniel, this is just the age of technology and communication! ;) We can't help it. :D

Yeah, we like to bash each other with pun intended...

RE Parker said...

You forgot one, Bethany!! Tall people get the "extra" work of putting things on and taking them off top shelves! :D (Unless, like me, you jump up onto the kitchen cabinet and stand on it to reach whatever I'm after. :D)

Bethany said...

Racheal: Of course asking them to get stuff for you on the top shelves is just way... too... humiliating. :P

Emily said...

Hi Bethany! (first time commenter here) :)

SHORT PEOPLE UNITE!

Amen to the humiliating part. :) I'm 5'1", and am ALWAYS getting picked on for my size, and tall people like to ask "How's the weather down there?" -_-

I like to tell tall people that they'll be the first to get hit by lightning. ;)

You know, it's kind of awkward when you have to look waaaaaay up at someone when you're talking to them. Or when you're dancing with them and you go to do a "gypsy". :)Yep. It's great being short....;)

Bethany said...

Emily: Ha ha! I like the lightening one. It goes well with the dynamite. ;)

Of course this post was for all us short people to unite! It's more fun that way. :D

Carissa Rose said...

Great blog post!! Yeah, as you know (and Jordan does too *ahem*). I'm short. I'm always getting teased about my height! *Facedesk*

Bethany said...

Well, now you have all the ammo to scare off those silly jokes! ;)