Monday, November 25, 2013

The Victory Won

If you remember this post, I talked about songwriting and mentioned a behind the scenes story of how I got my inspiration for this song, The Victory Won.

I'm very thankful that Eden agreed to sing this for me, being that it didn't really fit my vocal capacities!  She is a fine Soprano and she did such a great job singing this, adding her vocal interpretations here and there...  ;)  (Of course, I gave her special coaching and all!)


I hope you enjoy this song and I would love to hear your thoughts!

And just for the fun of it...


Yes, octaves can be difficult for those of us who are unfortunate enough to have small hands.  Thankfully video recordings are forgiving because you can retake clips (well, I guess that does depend on the patience level of the person(s) working!  However, the perfectionist in me tends to show itself when it comes to music, so yes, I can handle all the monotonous redoes over and over again...).  Of course there was that time I'll never forget where I finished my recital piece in performance, only to find that I didn't quite make the stretch for the chord.  It sounded like a jazz chord at the end of my Classical piece.  Oh great!  I helplessly had to hold it out as my strong finish (trying to get all the notes in there right by playing the chord again would have made the bad situation even worse).

But that was nothing compared to the time I bowed to the piano after my first-ever piano recital.  I sure got a lot of laughs for being such a little girl, but I wouldn't recommend trying this shtick for any comic relief!  ;)  To this day, the certain people who witnessed the moment have not forgotten so I hear repeats of the same (embarrassing!) story...

On that final note, be on the lookout on my blog for some of my true stories (and I'll leave it up to you to decide whether they are funny or not!)

6 comments:

Daniel F said...

Beautifully unconventional! Btw I really like you touch on the piano!

Bethany said...

Thank you, Daniel! I'm glad to hear that you think it's unconventional. ;) What's worse than the 1,4, and 5, chords over and over again?! :D

Daniel F said...

Ha ha! Not at all what I mean! By unconventional, I mean that it avoids the droning melodies that are conventional in most CCM. The melody moves beyond a four note pattern! YAY! I especially like the part of the melody that when the lyrics are,” And oh grave where is your victory?" It flows nicely. As for the 1,4,5...I learned that you can make it not sound like a 1,4,5 if you switch keys or hold each chord for a different length of time. 1,4,5 is/are beautiful progression/chords.... They are most naturally pleasing to the ear. The problem with CCM is that it uses only those, so they eventually lose the pleasing resolving sound.....
In other words, I REALLY liked the song :) It’s not boring!

Bethany said...

I do know what you mean... I was kind of kidding around. ;)
Thanks! I kind of built that melody line off 6th and 7th intervals because there is *something* about those intervals that sound so neat... (especially the 7th). I don't know, maybe it's just me. ;)
That's very interesting about the chords. Jordan tells me that you study lots of chord progressions and such. When our two families get together we'll have to talk music. :D
Thanks again!

Rachel Irene said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful!! I love the song, and Eden, you have such a lovely voice!! Could you put it to sheet music...?

Bethany, I can totally relate =D "However, the perfectionist in me tends to show itself when it comes to music..." - Yup, that's me :D :P

Bethany said...

Thank you very much, Rachel! Yes, I was very glad Eden agreed to sing it for me. :)
Hm... well, I'm not very good with using our scoring program (because we don't have a keyboard and that makes it so tedious!), but I could write down the chords and send you the chord sheet if you wanted...

Ah! Good to know there is another sophisticated person in this world! :D Love it!