Thursday, November 28, 2013

Awkward: 101 Dumb Things I've Done--Thanksgiving

Before moving onto matching the title to the post, I want to take a minute to say that I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving filled with much love, joy, and gratefulness!  We have so much to be thankful for and don't realize the things we take for granted... Salvation from sin and eternal separation from God; the freedom to worship God in this country; "simple" necessities like food, water, and shelter; family and friends...  I have seen it asked, "What if we woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"  That is a sobering thought!  We have been blessed with so many things and yet it is so easy to forget a simple "thank you".  Take a moment to thank the Lord, your family, your friends--anyone who God lays on your heart--for those special things that you have been given.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations."
~Psalm 100:4-5


 So now you are wondering why this post has such a strange title...  Here's why:
I'm going to write a book someday.
Oh, whoa.  Whoa.  Stop right there!

Did you just read that correctly?
Actually... yes.  You did.

What's even more interesting is that I have been encouraged by some very close friends of mine to write this book.  But why would I write a book?  I mean, I'm the slowest reader in my family and I'm always the one that has to give the sheepish "um, no, actually I haven't read that book".  When it comes to reading, I can only brag about holding the record as the youngest reader in the family (I started reading at three).  So what in the world would posses me to write a book when here I shudder at the size of a thick book?
I always end up in the most trickiest situations and even though they are awkward at the time, I always find them to be hilarious afterwards!  (My friend thinks I have a knack for getting entangling myself in those moments, but I guess the only way to tell is to stick around me for some time. ;) )  I love humor and the little things in life that make me smile.  I am sharing these stories because I want to share the laughter and enjoyment from the funny things God puts in my paths with you.  I hope these stories make you smile as well.  Remember "a merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance". 
Oh, and the title of the book (when I get around to writing it, of course)?  "Awkward: 101 Dumb Things I've Done". (Note: I might abbreviate that on here as Awkward: 101 DTID... we'll see.)
Enjoy this Thanksgiving story (thankfully I had it archived so I didn't have to type it all up!) and let me know what you think!

On Thanksgiving day a few years ago, my siblings and I decided to dress up in traditional hysterical--I'm sorry--historical First Thanksgiving costumes.  I pulled out my Indian costume, pieced it together, and realized that I needed one last thing to make it as authentic as possible: an Indian necklace.  On the way over to our friend's house, I strung these little round glass beads on a long string.  (Bad idea.)  After I was done, I found that the necklace was so long I could wrap it twice around my neck and it looked very just right.  (Mistake two.)
Over the course of the evening, I found that my necklace kept tightening around my neck, leaving me with one long loop and one very constricting loop pulled quite tight.  It left me always pulling the wrap that was closest to my neck down to fix it so I wouldn't feel like I might strangle myself at any given moment.  (Yes, it just keeps getting worse.)
After the meal, our hosts opened up their huge tubs of homemade ice cream.  We were in the basement of their house which had a hard kind of tile floor.  I was happily enjoying one of the most delicious additives to this Thanksgiving dinner when that pesky necklace threatened to choke me once more.  "No worries, I'll just pull it down again like this"--and then it happened.  After countless pullings, the string finally broke and all those glass beads flew everywhere!  They plopped into my ice cream, rolled into the folds of my clothes, bounced off my lap, and my hands were grabbing everywhere to catch them.  (Of course my siblings started taking pictures.)  The worst came when they hit that floor.  The sound of those little bead's high-pitched plink shattered the conversation-filled room.  Plink, plink, plink!  They hit the ground and they spun, bounced, and zipped... all... over... the... room!  The were rolling under the chairs, in the corners, under the piano, between people's feet... you name it!  And I had to go all over the room, picking them up!  Okay, so being dressed abnormal while everyone looks normal is one thing.  But your costume falling apart in front of everyone, is another!  I went around that room, scrambling under the pianos, searching in the cracks, grabbing under the chairs, scooping them up everywhere. Meanwhile, everyone is pointing them out, "You missed some over here!"  "Bethany, I have some more for you!"  "There are a few more under this chair".  Finally I kept telling people that they could keep them as souvenirs from an Indian's outfit!  I did get all those beads back (at least all I could find), but I didn't dare put them on that necklace again!
To this day, I still haven't figured out the moral of this story.  I'm sure it's one of these two: Next time, either let the necklace choke you, or wear a different costume...  I really don't know.
Truth to be told, I did wear that Indian costume again.  But no, the necklace did not have the honor of trying a repeat-performace!

4 comments:

Madi said...

Keep them as souvenirs from an Indian's costume. LOL

Bethany said...

Yes. I was putting those embarrassing beads to a good cause. :P

Elanee said...

It's so funny to look back on awkward moments like these and laugh, but sometimes in the heat of the moment we think we will never be able to forget our embarrassment.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all:) I hope you had an absolutely wonderful day with family and friends, celebrating the finished work of Christ on our behalf.

Bethany said...

:D
And can you guess just where this story took place? ;)

Thanks! I hope you all had a wonderful day as well. :)