Tuesday, October 1, 2013

History Is Made!

Well, hey there!

So you stopped by to read my first blog post?  Why, thank you!
I officially welcome you to Bethany's Blog under the title of Bet's Tidbits (yes, my nickname is Bet).
It was very difficult (for me, at least) to come up with a blog name, but my siblings "helped" me out with some of these suggestions:

"Boisterous Bethany", "Bombastic Bethany, "Backlashing Bethany",
"Bethany's Bonker Crazy Bits" "Baking Bethany--What's Cooking in her Noodle"
None of them fit for a blog title (although some might fit my description), so I decided to stick with my nickname!


Yes, it's true: the little girl who all those years ago told her mother that she "did not like writing" now has a blog.  Sounds like an oxymoron, right?  I was that little girl that dreaded the thought of any writing assignment and always choked her pencil while using it (um, well, I still do that part).  But as I got older something changed.  It first started when I wrote speeches and scripts for the competition my siblings and I did... I began to look forward to writing those and even enjoy it!

It wasn't until much more recently that I realized something... Words are fun.  Better yet, they're delightful, intriguing, and amazing!  Fitting those words together like a puzzle brings life to a page and insight into someone's mind.  I found that being the mastermind behind the words gave me the chance to bring out emotion, humor, suspense, facts, and thoughts.  It's simply satisfying.  

Words are powerful.  It's been said that "the pen is mightier than the sword" and as a Christian, I must use them well.  "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."  (Proverbs 25:11)  I must wield that pen for God's glory.

Perhaps it was a bit of Sibling Pressure (as opposed to Peer Pressure), but I wasn't sure what I would write about if I did have a blog, not to mention who in the world would read it!  I toyed with the idea for quite a while... in fact, I've had this blog for over a year now but was too embarrassed at my ridiculous graphic "designing" job to give the link out to anyone!  After getting help from one of my sisters, I revamped it so that I wouldn't blush every time I pulled it up.  Now I'm ready to post.  Oh, and you are probably wondering what you will see here...
Anything from articles and thoughts, to music, songs I've written, and violin, to filmmaking, and to the little stories in life that make me (and hopefully you) laugh.  I enjoy finding humor in life; it brightens my day.  I know that God puts these things into our lives to make us smile, laugh, and rejoice... but also to stop, think, and pray.  I will be sure to take the time to share some of these stories with you.

(And if you would like to find out a little bit more about me, check out my profile on the right.)

I hope this blog blesses you as you read, listen to, and watch it's content!

"Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered."
~Psalm 40:5

In closing, I thought I should share my mother's advice to me when I told her about my writing dislike:
"Writing is a part of life!"
She was most certainly right.

17 comments:

Jordan Strang said...

Hey! That's moi on the header!

Someone said...

First to comment!

Nathan Wright said...

Are you going to post your hymns/Psalms on here?

Nice first post, by the way.

Bethany said...

Jordan: Yes, it's you... at the moment! ;)

Shiloh (under the name of Someone): Um, actually you're not. :D

Nathan: Thank you! Yes, I do plan to post them here. :)

Carissa Rose said...

I like your blog, Bethany!! I look forward to reading more!

RE Parker said...

Look forward to your blogging adventures, Bet! :)

Cheyne said...

Maybe it would have been better to let us vote on which blog title suggestion we thought would be best...

Shiloh said...

Well, you were on this computer. :(

Bethany said...

Cheyne: That would be scary! I shudder to think what misfortune would befall my blog if that were the deciding factor!

Shiloh: That's the reason why this post got up. :)

Samantha R said...

Hi Bethany! I'm following you now; can't wait to see what you'll write about!

Daniel said...

You Strangs have a thing for the blog :) btw your violin playing (gasp, it is violin, right? Jordan would never let me live it down if I called a viola a violin!) is putting my MIDI strings to shame, and that’s a good thing! :)

Bethany said...

Daniel: Well, yeah... I finally got my own because all my siblings had one and I didn't! Thanks! :) Yes, it is a violin and Jordan wouldn't be the only one who wouldn't let you live it down. :P

Eden said...

Hey Bet! :) Great blog post... I'll be sure to read it... :P


Thanks to moi who helped you choice the background... ;)

Elanee said...

You finally posted something:) I'm so happy. I look forward to heading your posts in the future. You're an excellent writer, and I look forward to seeing your articles.

Madi said...

Looking forward to following your blog, Bethany!!

Daniel said...

Just a guess....”Baking Bethany-What’s Cooking in Her Noodle” has Jordan written all over it. Correct? BTW I think that one was hilarious!

Bethany said...

Daniel... Yep, that's right. :D It was funny, but for a blog URL... I just don't know. ;)